The 5 Best CBD Products for a Better Night’s Sleep, According to an Expert
Many of us have trouble falling or staying asleep. CBD oil, or cannabidiol, is a phytocannabinoid derived from the hemp plant (Cannabis sativa) with science pointing to its ability to help people sleep. In this article written by Ashley Jordan Ferira, PhD, RDN, Senior Editor of Health & Wellness Strategy at Remedy Review, an independent CBD reviews site, we dig into this research and track down the best CBD oil for sleep.
Here are seven hemp-derived CBD oils vetted for quality that may help support a good night’s rest. See more about how CBD can improve your sleep, and why these products made the cut, below.
- Best Overall:CBDistillery CBN + CBD Sleep Tincture
- Best Organic CBD Option:Plant People CBD Drops+ Sleep
- Best CBD + CBN Oil:Spruce Rest
- Best Full Spectrum Oil:Cornbread Hemp Whole Flower CBD Oil
- Best Flavored CBD Oil:Charlotte’s Web Maximum Strength CBD Oil
- Best CBD Gummy:CBDistillery CBD Sleep Gummies
- Favorite Sleep Capsule:Prima Sleep Tight Softgels
Unlike the other famous cannabinoid, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), CBD does not cause psychoactive effects. But by interacting with cannabinoid receptors in the brain, CBD is able to positively impact sleep as well as other health issues like pain and anxiety, which are common culprits of sleep loss.
Before we dive into each of these CBD products, let’s talk a bit more about how CBD may impact sleep.
The United States of Sleepy
Seven to nine hours per night is the recommended amount of sleep for adults. Easier said than done. Many factors compete with these evidence-based recommendations, making them feel more like an aspirational goal. As a result, 35 percent of US adults are experiencing a lack of sleep—most of them getting less than 7 hours of sleep per night.
Chronic lack of sleep has consequences. It can weaken the immune system, increase inflammation, and elevate risk for a variety of serious health conditions. These include cardiovascular disease, hypertension, heart attack, stroke, diabetes, obesity, depression, and even neurodegeneration associated with dementia.
The Science of CBD and Sleep
The cannabis plant has thousands of years of medicinal use behind it, and CBD and sleep go way back too. In a medical journal publication from 1843, Dr. O’Shaughnessy describes hemp as a “powerful sedative.” Fast forward to present day, and research is beginning to build, supporting CBD’s calming impact on the central nervous system.
A 2019 case series recently found that CBD supplementation improved sleep within 1 month of treatment (25 to 175 mg CBD/day) in two thirds of patients receiving care at a psychiatry outpatient clinic. Whether this improvement also occurs in healthy adults is unknown. But, a 2019 review of clinical trials found that many studies indicated positive effects of cannabinoids on sleep quality.
How to Use CBD as a Sleep Aid
CBD is most often found in the tincture format, but other product styles include gummies, capsules, and even CBD-infused tea. Full spectrum, broad spectrum, and CBD isolate are the three main types of hemp extracts used to make CBD products.
CBD may be an herbal strategy you’re interested in trying to support sleep. We landed on four high-quality CBD oils, in addition to some innovative capsule and gummy options.
Vetted for source and quality, all products are derived from industrial hemp grown in the US. Additionally, all products have been tested by independent third-party labs for quality and safety purposes. Continue reading to learn more about how to take CBD, when to take it, and choosing the right CBD product for your needs.
Best CBD for Sleep
Best Overall: CBDistillery CBN + CBD Sleep Tincture
For a product that is specifically formulated to promote better sleep, you can’t go wrong with this CBN + CBD oil from CBDistillery. Preliminary studies indicate that CBN may have sleep-inducing properties, and this tincture includes a 1:3 ratio of CBN to CBD, for a total of 150 mg of CBN, and 450 mg of CBD per bottle.
Best Organic CBD Option: Plant People Drops+ Sleep
This Plant People tincture is specifically formulated to aid in quality sleep with the help of CBD, CBN, and various other minor cannabinoids. This particular CBD oil comes in three different strengths: 360, 720, and 1440mg of CBD per 30mL bottle. This CBD oil features full-spectrum hemp extract, which also includes many beneficial plant terpenes to help you get a better night’s sleep.
To buy: Sleep CBD Oil Drops; plantpeople.co
Best CBD + CBN Oil: Spruce Rest
Specifically formulated for sleep, Spruce Rest contains both CBD and CBN (cannabinol) oils. CBN is another naturally occurring compound found in hemp that works with CBD to help promote restful sleep. This formula contains 1200 mg of CBD and 50 mg of CBN, more than 10 times the CBN of Spruce’s normal oil, to help you get to sleep. Plus, it comes in a natural vanilla flavor and is free from artificial flavors, preservatives, and sweeteners. Spruce CBD is all made in the USA and third-party lab tested.
To buy: Spruce Rest CBD + CBN Oil; takespruce.com
Best Full Spectrum Oil: Cornbread Hemp Whole Flower CBD Oil
For a better and deeper sleep, Cornbread’s Whole Flower CBD Oil will do the trick. Cornbread’s organic CBD oil contains the highest legal levels of THC and minor cannabinoids for the ultimate nighttime comfort. Cornbread is USDA certified organic and uses organic MCT Coconut Oil and Organic Hemp Extract. This extract’s CBD to THC ratio is 22:1 CBD to THC and the extra strength option has 1,500 mg per bottle.
To buy: Cornbread Hemp Whole Flower CBD Oil; cornbreadhemp.com
Best Flavored CBD Oil: Charlotte’s Web Maximum Strength CBD Oil
Charlotte’s Web is a well-known CBD brand for its high-quality products, which are gluten-free, non-GMO, and vegan. Its products are also U.S. Hemp Authority-certified, and come in a variety of flavors (like lemon twist, orange blossom, and mint chocolate) and strengths (7 mg, 17 mg, and 50 mg CBD per mL).
Best CBD Gummy: CBDistillery CBD PM Gummies
These gluten-free and vegan CBD gummies contain small amounts of melatonin in each (1.5 mg), which pairs perfectly with 30 mg of CBD hemp extract. These gummies feature natural fruit flavors for a tasty, consistent dose that promotes a restful night of sleep.
Favorite Sleep Capsule: Prima Sleep Tight Softgels
Prima Sleep Tight Softgels contain a doctor formulated combination of CBD and essential amino acids, as well as California poppy, lavender, and passion fruit extract. These softgels use broad spectrum CBD from organically grown Oregon hemp to provide a restful night’s sleep with no intoxicating effects. All Prima products are independently tested by third party labs for purity. Vegan, gluten-free, cruelty-free, and non-GMO, this is a natural sleep aid that you can feel good about.
To buy: Prima Sleep Tight Softgels; prima.co
Full spectrum vs. broad spectrum vs. CBD isolate
Full-spectrum hemp extracts contain the phytochemicals naturally found in the plant, including CBD, other cannabinoids, flavonoids, and terpenes. Full-spectrum CBD products have trace THC content, below 0.3% by law. The “whole plant” design of full-spectrum hemp-derived CBD is linked to the entourage effect.
But, when a THC-free approach is preferred or required (e.g., for those taking regular drug tests), broad-spectrum hemp extracts are a great option. Broad-spectrum hemp extract contains CBD and all the other beneficial compounds within the plant, except for THC, which is removed.
The last form of CBD you’ll see is isolate. Extraction and refinement processes remove the active compounds from the hemp plant and any residual plant matter, leaving only CBD.
How much CBD to take before bed
Dosing guidelines are limited due to the lack of clinical consensus for CBD supplementation. A general approach is 1 to 6 mg of CBD per 10 pounds of body weight. But the best advice is to start low and work your way up to a dose that is right for you. Work with your doctor on this personalized approach.
How to take CBD oil
When using CBD oil tinctures, a dropper is used to extract the solution from the bottle. Most CBD oil products have measurements printed on the dropper to easily measure the dose, typically 1 milliliter. Check the label for clear directions and CBD mg delivered per serving.
Once you have the oil in the dropper, squeeze the oil directly into your mouth under the tongue and leave in place for 30 to 60 seconds. This approach is thought to aid in the absorption of the cannabinoids. Alternatively, you can also add CBD oils to your favorite food or drink and ingest the product that way.
When to take CBD
When taking CBD oil to help with sleep, a commonly discussed approach is to take it 30 minutes to 1 hour before bedtime. Do this consistently for a week or 2, and gauge if you feel any improvement. Then you can adjust your approach (timing, dosing) as needed.
Possible side effects
Even though CBD is generally well-tolerated, uncommon side effects include dry mouth, diarrhea, reduced appetite, drowsiness, and fatigue. CBD can interact with the metabolism of medications. Because of this herb-drug interaction, you may want to check in with your doctor before starting CBD if you take prescription medications.
How cannabinoids interact with the endocannabinoid system to impact medical conditions that lead to sleep disorders is yet to be determined. There is a lot to learn about the effects of CBD on the sleep cycle and wake cycle. If you take over-the-counter prescription medicines to sleep better, or if you are dealing with sleep disturbances related to a medical condition like chronic pain, consult a doctor before buying CBD. CBD for sleep is not approved by the FDA.
Quality is paramount
What makes a CBD product high-quality? First, only consider CBD brands that conduct and report third-party lab testing. These independent tests confirm the presence of active ingredients (CBD, terpenes, etc.) and the absence of toxins (e.g., pesticides, heavy metals).
You also want to verify the hemp source, like hemp plants grown on U.S. soil. This is because U.S. industrial hemp is regulated per the Farm Bill and has at least 0.3% THC by law.
This content is for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice; it is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before consuming or using any of the products mentioned on this site.
Sign up for our Health Shopping newsletter to get your daily dose of retail therapy with great deals handpicked by our editors — straight to your inbox.
CBD may help alleviate chronic lack of sleep or difficulty falling asleep. We found the best oils, tinctures, drops, capsules, and gummies to take for a better night's rest.
Best CBD Oil for Sleep & Insomnia [2021 Update]
If you go to bed at a reasonable hour but still don’t get enough sleep because you keep tossing and turning the whole night, waking up at the slightest sound, you’re not alone.
CBD oil can be an effective, natural solution to poor sleep, but how to find the right one? The market is flooded with them! And many are of poor quality, not giving you the results you need.
If you don’t have time to read the whole article,
Here are our top 5 CBD oils for sleep issues:
- Fab CBD Oil: Top Voted & Highest Quality
- Cheef Botanicals CBD Oil: Best Value
- CBDpure Oil: Highest Guarantee
- Nuleaf Naturals Full Spectrum Oil: Most Potent Product
- Joy Organics CBD Oil: THC Free CBD Products
How Was This List Made?
Cannabis has been used in alternative medicine for centuries and is now seeing a resurgence in popularity. Too many companies have jumped onto the CBD bandwagon over the past few years, hoping to make a quick buck.
There are a lot of sub-standard products on the market, many of them using low-grade CBD extract that is ineffective. It’s important to know which of the brands are really worth their salt before you spend your hard-earned dollars.
We took the time to research the CBD brands available on the market thoroughly before coming up with our recommendations.
And even before doing that, we looked at a lot of scientific literature on CBD to get a thorough understanding of what’s what and how CBD can actually help deal with insomnia.
We’re also not interested in pushing hype. What we look for are the clean, hard facts, giving them to you as they are.
There is a lot we had to consider when selecting the best CBD oils for sleep:
- Hemp source and quality: organic hemp is the best. Many countries around the world grow hemp, but not all of them follow the same standards. And having the hemp sourced locally gives the brand more control over the quality.
- CBD extraction process: there are different ways to extract CBD from the hemp plant. Some methods leave harsh chemical residues in the extract, while others result in a pure, safe CBD.
- Isolate or broad-spectrum: Some brands offer CBD isolate, while others offer a broad-spectrum CBD that contains all the other useful cannabinoids and terpenes from the hemp plant.
- Third-party testing: The best brands have their CBD oils tested for quality, potency, and purity by certified independent third-party labs. It is the best assurance the company can give its customers of commitment to quality.
- CBD oil potency: not all CBD oils are of the same potency or strength. Some are much stronger, others less.
- Brand reputation: here, we looked at how transparent the brand is and its reputation with users. We also considered the quality of their customer care.
- Price: Naturally, you want the best value for money you can get. Here we looked at how much CBD you can actually get per dollar spent.
As you can see, the list is quite comprehensive. It took a lot of searching and double-checking to come up with the top 5 contenders, but we did it.
So let’s not waste any more time and take a more in-depth look at each of these CBD oils to help you decide which one will best suit your personal needs.
5 Best CBD Oil for Sleep (Product Reviews)
#1 Fab CBD Oil: Top Voted & Highest Quality
It is a CBD brand with a great range of products, including CBD oil. This company is a relative new-comer to the CBD scene, having opened its doors for business in 2017.
But it has steadily developed a loyal, dedicated following that is now much larger than that of many of FAB’s older competitors.
Fab CBD is a brand geared at providing a unique and fun CBD experience to its users. So unlike some purist brands, they offer CBD oils in various flavors, and a range of other interesting CBD products as well.
Their products, however, retain excellent standards and do not sacrifice quality for the price.
These CBD oils are full-spectrum and use a whole-plant hemp extract, making sure you get the full benefits of all the terpenes and cannabinoids found in the hemp plant, not just CBD alone.
- 100% organic hemp locally grown in Colorado is used to manufacture all of the CBD used by this brand. This allows the brand full control over its CBD source.
- Every batch of CBD is independently tested by a third-party lab. Everything from potency and consistency to purity is tested, and the results are made available on the brand’s website for total transparency and quality assurance.
- The CBD oil is THC-free. There is less than 0.3% THC in Fab’s CBD oils, so you won’t be getting a high or suffering from other mind-altering effects.
- Several flavors available: you can, of course, buy the natural, unflavored CBD oil, but there are four different flavor options if you are not into the taste of hemp: citrus, mint, vanilla, and berry.
- Four different strengths: Fab CBD oil comes in a selection of four different potencies so you can choose what works best for your needs: 300mg, 600mg, 1200mg, and 2400mg.
Fab CBD is currently one of the best-known and most popular CBD brands with users, and is also well-respected within the industry, despite being a newcomer. It is certainly more affordable than most yet still offers solid quality and great value for your CBD dollar and here’s a page with Fab CBD’s latest coupon codes.
- CBD is sourced from 100% organic Colorado hemp
- Third-party tested for quality and consistency
- Available in four different strengths
- Comes in natural and flavored options
- Free shipping within the US
- International shipping available
- Excellent 30-day money-back policy
- Free shipping is on the slow side and expedited shipping costs extra
- Lowest potency oil may not be enough to get the effects you need
Fab CBD oils has received hundreds of raving reviews from users all over the US and beyond. What people love most about this brand is its easy going yet educative approach to CBD.
Everybody agrees that the price is very affordable for the quality, making this excellent value for money. People also love the fact that there are flavored options available in every potency of CBD oil.
Many have gotten relief from stress, anxiety, and sleep problems using Fab CBD oil, with some commenting that for long-term use, the 1200mg and 2400mg potencies seem to produce the best results.
#2 Cheef Botanicals CBD Oil: Best Value
It is a solid brand with a reputation for dealing with pure, high-quality CBD in several forms. The company focuses on using 100% organic, non-GMO hemp to extract all of its CBD.
Cheef Botanicals delivers all-natural CBD oil with no flavor or additives except for organic hemp oil, which is used as a carrier to maximize the bioavailability of the CBD itself.
Quality is a top consideration in the entire manufacturing process, from seed to shelf. Third-party lab testing is a given, and customer care is more than happy to answer any questions you may still have.
- All hemp is sourced from certified, organic industrial-quality hemp farms in Colorado. It ensures that the final CBD extract is pure and potent, with no traces of pesticides or other harmful chemicals.
- The CO2 extraction process is used. It ensures that the CBD extract is pure and doesn’t contain any harsh chemical residues.
- Third-party tested for potency and purity. Every batch of CBD oil used by Cheef Botanicals is tested by an independent lab, and the results are posted on the brand’s website.
- THC-free: This is a broad spectrum oil, meaning it contains all the useful cannabinoids and terpenes in the hemp plant except for the psychoactive THC, so it will not make you high.
- Free of additives: this organic, vegan, and non-GMO CBD oil contains only hemp oil as a carrier oil. There are no flavors, colorants, or preservatives.
- Several Potencies Available: This broad-spectrum CBD oil comes in a choice of 4 different potencies: 300mg, 600mg, 1200mg, and 3000mg. This is great as it gives good options for both beginners and advanced users.
It is an excellent, trustworthy brand when it comes to CBD oil and other CBD products. Here’s a summary of the best features, but also the cons.
- 100% organic, vegan, and non-GMO
- Locally-grown, industrial-quality hemp
- Third-party tested for quality
- Available in 4 different potencies
- Bundles available for greater discounts
- Excellent returns and refund policy
- Great value for money
- Ships only within the US
- Shipping is not free
- No flavored options
Cheef Botanicals CBD oils have received positive reviews from hundreds of users. Repeat customers like the consistency of the oil, and many recommend the 300mg version as being perfect for newbies to CBD.
People have used these oils to get relief from persistent insomnia, as well as calming stress and anxiety. Some have also found it alleviates lower back pain and joint aches due to arthritis.
#3 CBDpure Oil: Highest Guarantee
CBDpure is another well-respected company in the CBD industry, delivering a range of CBD products, including CBD oil. This brand doesn’t offer any flavored oils, preferring to focus on producing a 100% natural, organic CBD oil.
This brand uses organic hemp oil as a carrier base for its CBD and doesn’t add flavor, preservatives, or colorants to its products. All their hemp is sourced from Colorado- and Washington-based hemp farms and is organically grown.
CBDpure uses the CO2 extraction process to ensure the final extract is clean and potent. The brand also submits all of its CBD for independent third-party testing to monitor quality and consistency.
- 100% organic, locally sourced hemp is used. Having the hemp sourced locally gives the brand better quality control right from the start of the manufacturing process.
- The CO2 extraction process used is highly acclaimed for producing pure, potent CBD oil with no harsh solvent residues or other contaminants.
- Tested by a third-party lab for quality. All the brand’s CBD oil is tested for contaminants such as pesticides, heavy metals, and other harmful substances, and the results are published on the company’s website.
- Broad-spectrum CBD oil is a better alternative than CBD isolate, ensuring you get the full synergistic benefits of all the cannabinoids and terpenes in the hemp plant.
- 100% natural products. CBDpure CBD oils do not use any flavors or other additives, except for hemp oil, which is used as a carrier oil.
- Available in 3 different strengths: this brand’s CBD oil comes in 300mg, 600mg, and 1000mg. There is an option for everyone, from beginner to more advanced users.
CBDPure has a solid reputation within the CBD industry, but there are a couple of drawbacks to buying their products too. Here’s the page for latest CBDpure coupon codes.
Here’s a summary of both the good and the not-so-good:
- 100& organic, natural CBD oil
- Third-party tested for quality, purity, and consistency
- Available in 3 different potencies: 300mg, 600mg, 1000mg
- Free shipping available within the US
- Great 90-day returns and refunds policy
- On the somewhat pricier side
- Ships only within the US, Canada, and the UK
- No flavored versions available
Thousands of people have used CBDpure CBD oils, and there are a multitude of reviews available online, the majority positive, but some customers had complained that they wanted a stronger potency.
The brand used to carry only 300mg and 600mg versions but recently added the extra-strength 1000mg, addressing that problem. Apart from that, users are generally happy, commenting that this oil has helped them solve their insomnia and anxiety-related problems.
Most people seem to prefer the 600mg, adding that it delivers the best value for money and is potent enough to produce results for the average user.
#4 Nuleaf Naturals Full Spectrum Oil: Most Potent Product
Founded by natural plant medicine aficionados in 2014, Nuleaf Naturals is one of the pioneer companies in the CBD industry in the US. The brand’s focus is to provide quality, accessible CBD to help people improve their health and wellness.
It is a brand that has stood the test of time, with thousands of consumers trusting it to supply them the best quality CBD for their needs. Their CBD oil is 100% pure, with the only addition being organic hemp oil as a carrier.
This brand applies the best manufacturing practices, aiming for strict quality control right from the beginning. Their hemp is locally grown in Colorado and is monitored all the way from farm through processing and packaging.
- 100% organic, Colorado-grown grown hemp ensures the brand has control over the entire manufacturing process, starting right at the hemp farm.
- Third-party testing by an independent lab means you can trust the quality of what you’re buying. All results are openly published on the company’s website for anyone to access.
- The brand uses a whole-plant extract, resulting in a broad-spectrum oil that contains CBD and all the other cannabinoids and terpenes in the hemp plant for a full, synergistic effect.
- Only natural ingredients used with no additives. Nuleaf Naturals CBD oils don’t contain anything except the CBD itself and organic hemp oil as a carrier. There are no flavors, colorants, or preservatives of any kind.
- It comes in 5 different potencies, creating an excellent range for every type of CBD user. Nuleaf Naturals CBD oil is available in 300mg, 900mg, 1800mg, 3000mg, and 6000mg, which is one of the strongest available on the market.
Nuleaf Naturals is a reliable CBD brand that can be trusted to deliver quality and consistency every single time, which is why it is still going strong since 2015. Here’s a page for the latest Nuleaf Naturals coupon code.
There are a couple of reasons it may not be your first choice, though, so let’s take a look at the best features as well as the cons.
- 100% organic, Colorado-grown hemp is used
- Tested for quality and consistency by an independent third-party lab
- Broad-spectrum CBD for a full, synergistic effect
- Five different CBD oil strengths to choose from
- Free shipping within the US
- International shipping available to over 40 countries
- No flavored options available
- Weak returns and refunds policy
- Premium prices
There are literally hundreds of reviews on Nuleaf Naturals CBD oil available. Most are overwhelmingly positive, with users saying the brand’s products may be pricier than some others, but the quality is well worth the extra buck.
Many people have found relief from insomnia, stress, and chronic pain using Nuleaf Naturals CBD oil. Those that need large doses really appreciate the extra-strong 6000mg version.
People new to CBD have found that with this brand, even 300mg is strong enough to produce results, unlike with other brands where you need to buy at least 600mg to get any effects.
#5 Joy Organics CBD Oil: THC Free CBD Products
Founded and run by a family, Joy Organics is a brand dedicated to producing premium quality CBD. Their focus is on producing the best in the industry, and they deliver as promised.
The manufacturing process is strictly monitored from beginning to end, from seed to shelf. The brand uses only the best quality hemp and tests it at several different stages of the extraction process to ensure it adheres to the strictest quality standards.
The customer service with Joy Organics is just as outstanding as the product itself. The customer care staff is friendly and efficient, answering questions and resolving any issues with minimum hassle.
The only reason that Joy Organics doesn’t make it to the top of our list is their equally premium price tags. But if it’s within your budget, you’ll be getting the best quality CBD available on the market today.
- 100% organic Colorado-grown hemp is used. Industrial-quality hemp grown on certified Colorado hemp farms is an assurance of the purest and most potent CBD extract later on.
- Broad-spectrum, THC-free CBD oil. The CBD oil from Joy Organics is made from a whole-plant extract, meaning it contains all the terpenes and cannabinoids in the hemp plant, not just CBD, for a fuller, more potent effect. There is, however, no THC, so you won’t be experiencing a high.
- Independent third-party lab test results for every batch of CBD are available on the brand’s website. All their CBD is tested multiple times in-house but also sent out for independent analysis to ensure premium quality and purity.
- Organic and natural ingredients only. This CBD oil doesn’t contain any useless filler ingredients that would cut down on the potency.
- Flavored CBD oils are available. It is an excellent alternative for anybody that doesn’t like the natural taste and smell of CBD oil. Besides the natural, unflavored version, you can get CBD oil in mint, lemon, and orange flavors.
- Four different strengths are available. Joy Organics offers CBD oils in a total of 4 different strengths, ranging from just 225mg per bottle for beginners to a much more potent 1350mg per bottle.
Joy Organics is a brand that has two main goals: ensuring their products are 100% organic and the best possible quality. It is a product we can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone looking for a top-notch CBD oil, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind. You can bookmark this Joy Organics coupon page for latest discounts.
- 100% organic CBD oil
- Premium quality
- Broad-spectrum CBD oil
- Flavored options available
- Comes in 4 different potencies
- Free shipping within the US
- Great 30-day money-back policy
- Premium price tag
- Does not ship internationally
Joy Organics may be expensive, but that is about the only complaint you can find with users of this brand’s CBD oil. People have left raving reviews for this brand’s CBD oil, saying there is no better value for money in terms of how effective the product is.
Many users buy this CBD oil to help them deal with sleep and anxiety problems, but some use it just for the overall supportive effects it has on their wellbeing.
A few have noted that the lowest potency of 225mg may not be enough for those who don’t respond to CBD quickly.
CBD for Sleep
CBD is just one of the over 100 cannabinoids present in the hemp plant. Unlike THC, it is not psychoactive and doesn’t have any mind-altering effects.
CBD works by interacting with our endocannabinoid systems. It has been used in the holistic medicine world for centuries, but modern science does not yet fully understand CBD, and there is a lot of research going on.
Results to date show that CBD can have several beneficial effects, such as alleviating chronic joint and muscle pain due to inflammation, relief from anxiety, and, of course, relief from insomnia.
Benefits of CBD Oil
CBD oil is becoming more and more popular with people everywhere, and with good reason.
- Can offer relief from stress and anxiety
- Can help with chronic pain and inflammation
- Can help improve quality of sleep
- Doesn’t require a prescription in most of the US and many other countries
- Is legal in most of the US, and increasingly many other places
Potential Side Effects of CBD Oil
Many people are able to use CBD oil without experiencing any adverse side effects, but not all.
You may find yourself experiencing a few, although in many cases they are not acute enough to cause any severe problems.
However, research on CBD is still ongoing, and it is not approved for any medical purposes by the FDA, so take care when using it.
Potential side effectsinclude:
- Drowsiness and a feeling of lethargy
- Dry mouth
- Tiredness or fatigue
- Changes in weight or appetite
- Low blood pressure
If you experience any severe side effects or have any other cause for concern, immediately discontinue using CBD oil and get advice from your doctor.
Do not use CBD oil if:
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You have a medical condition that CBD may worsen.
- You are on medication that using CBD can interfere with
How to Use CBD Oil for Sleep?
CBD oil is meant to be taken orally, not heated, or combusted in any way. Most people get the best results by taking it a couple of hours before they expect to go to bed.
To get the best results, you need to use the dropper to measure out your desired dosage and hold it under your tongue for about 30 seconds.
You can take CBD on an empty stomach if you want the results a little bit faster, but it will be just as effective even if you take it together with or after your meal.
If you find you don’t like the natural taste of CBD or hemp oil in general, consider going for one of the flavored alternatives. They’ll still give you the CBD you’re looking for, but its taste will be masked by something else, making it more palatable.
CBD Dosage for Sleep
When it comes to dosage, there are no rules set in stone. Different people process CBD differently: some require more to get any kind of results, others need much less.
It also heavily depends on what condition you’re using CBD for and its severity. If, for example, you normally sleep well but have had a restless night or two for some reason, you may not need as much CBD to get results as someone chronically suffering from insomnia.
The best way to go about figuring out the right dosage for yourself is to start low and gradually build up if necessary.
If you’re new to CBD oil, you can try a lower potency product on a minimal dosage of one drop. Give it a couple of weeks, and if you’re not getting the results you need, you can up it two or three drops and see what happens after another few days.
Keep experimenting until you find your sweet spot because it really is different for everybody. It may take as much as 3-4 weeks before you get the results you need from your CBD oil.
CBD Oil for Sleep: Buying Guide
There are quite a few things to consider when looking at which CBD oil to buy. There are obvious considerations of quality and price, and you’ll be looking for the most potent and reliable CBD oil at the best possible price.
But it doesn’t stop at that. There are a few other things to consider, as well.
– How Potent Is The CBD Oil?
Some CBD oils are more potent than others. If you’re new to CBD or generally need very little to get results, a lower potency may work well.
If, on the other hand, your condition is more severe, or you naturally need more CBD to experience any effects, then a higher potency oil will be more convenient and give you the desired results with fewer drops.
– Cbd Oil Flavor
Some people have no problem with the natural taste and smell of CBD and hemp oil, while others can’t stand it. Thankfully, some brands offer CBD oils that come with added natural flavors to mask the CBD.
If you find you don’t like the taste of CBD, it may be a good idea to opt for a flavored oil that better suits your palate.
– Broad-Spectrum, Full-Spectrum, Or Isolate?
CBD oils can come as isolates, meaning they don’t contain anything except the CBD itself.
They can also come as full-spectrum oils containing all the cannabinoids and terpenes from the hemp plant, including THC.
Broad-spectrum CBD oil is exactly like full-spectrum, with one significant difference: it is free of THC, the psychoactive cannabinoid. Free in the industry-standard refers to less than 0.3% THC.
If you want to avoid any mind-altering effects, then you should go for either broad-spectrum or CBD isolate. If that is not a consideration, then a full-spectrum oil can work for you as well.
– Does It Ship To Your Destination? Are Returns Accepted?
Another important consideration is whether the brand ships to your area or not, and how affordable that shipping is. Some offer free shipping; others don’t. Some ship only within the States, others include some international destinations as well.
And if you’re trying a CBD brand for the first time, take a good look at their returns and refunds policy. The top CBD brands offer reasonable return policies, giving you at least 30 days to try the product and get a refund if it doesn’t work for you.
- Can CBD Oil Help With Insomnia?
CBD is still a hot research topic, and there is a lot we don’t know about it. But some studies suggest that CBD oil can help relieve stress, anxiety, and insomnia as well. People also use CBD oil to help reduce chronic pain and inflammation.
- Is CBD Oil Safe to Use?
Most people do not experience any severe side effects from using CBD oil. However, CBD is not yet thoroughly researched, so you should first speak to your doctor if you are on medication or have a medical condition before using CBD.
- Is CBD Oil Legal?
It depends on where you happen to live. CBD is currently legalized in most of the US, and more and more other countries are joining the list of places where CBD is free for general use. However, to avoid legal problems, always crosscheck with your local authorities first.
- Are There Any Side Effects of Using CBD Oil?
CBD is generally well-tolerated, but side effects are possible. They are usually relatively mild and include changes in appetite, lowered blood pressure, a dry mouth, drowsiness, and fatigue.
If you experience any severe side effects, discontinue use immediately and consult your doctor for advice.
- How Long Do I Need To Use CBD Oil to Get Results?
Different people process CBD differently. The severity of the condition you are trying to treat with CBD also matters. Some people start seeing results within a week or so while others may take as long as 2-3 weeks to start getting noticeable results.
- How Much CBD Oil Should I Take?
Again, this depends on you as an individual and the severity of the condition you want to treat using CBD oil. We would recommend starting with a lower dosage and gradually upping it until you get to the ideal point.
- Will CBD Oil Show Up on A Drug Test?
That depends mostly on whether the CBD oil contains any THC or not. In most cases, if a CBD isolate or broad-spectrum oil is labeled THC-free and has less than 0.3% THC, it should not show up on a drug test with short-term or intermittent use.
However, if you use the product frequently, or if the drug test simply looks for all cannabinoids and doesn’t differentiate THC, then you may end up testing positive. You may also test positive if you take the test very soon after taking a THC-free CBD oil.
Conclusion: Should You use CBD Oil for Sleep?
Sleep deprivation can make both your professional and personal life a nightmare. CBD oil may be a great, natural way to deal with stress, anxiety, and insomnia, and improve the quality of your life.
Many people have found relief from CBD oil, which is an excellent alternative to prescription drugs that often come with undesirable side effects.
Our top recommendation is Fab CBD oil, but you can check our top 5 list for other quality CBD oil options as well.
Our top 5 CBD oils for sleep issues.