The Five Best CBD Oils and How to Choose the Right One
Journeying into the world of CBD can be exciting, frustrating, and sometimes overwhelming. Today’s market is packed with different brands that offer an array of products in varying strengths, flavors, scents, and sizes. In our most recent update, we will help take the guesswork out of selecting both the best brand and product.
Thanks to the 2014 Agricultural Act , industrial hemp was made legal to grow, and with the passing of the 2018 Hemp Farming Act, hemp — cannabis containing less than 0.3% THC — was taken off of the Schedule I Controlled Substances List. In short, CBD creators were now legally able to sell their products throughout the United States.
In recent years, CBD has fast grown in popularity thanks to more people realizing that the compound has many beneficial healing properties. In fact, many avid CBD users report using the compound to help with chronic pain, sleep issues, migraine headaches, epilepsy, stress, anxiety, depression, skin issues, and much more.
As stated earlier, by law, CBD products must contain less than 0.3% THC in order to be sold and purchased within the United States. And since the current rise in CBD’s popularity, numerous research studies have proven the therapeutic benefits of the compound and of CBD products in general.
While this may seem like great news, the drawback is that now, the market has become flooded with both reputable as well as sub-par brands. Indeed, lots of these dishonest brands seek to scam unsuspecting buyers by selling products that are packed with dangerous toxins, pesticides, herbicides, and other dangerous chemicals.
So which reputable brands are the best and have most effective oils? You will find an answer to that question by continuing to read below to see our top three picks.
Top 3 CBD Oil Companies:
- FAB CBD Oil: High Quality & Highly Rated
- NuLeaf Naturals: Large Potency Range
- CBDistillery: Big Range of CBD Products
How We Came Up With Our CBD Oil List
Always exercise care and discernment when purchasing CBD oil online because not all brands are created equal. While there are a great many reputable brands that sell wonderful, clean, and potent CBD oils, there are still many brands out there who are only interested in making a quick buck.
Those companies whose products seem to go easy on your pocketbook may also sell products that are laden with pesticides, solvents, herbicides, and other unnecessary and dangerous chemicals. So, not only are these products dangerous, they’re also less potent in the long-run.
In order for us to come up with our top five CBD oil brands, we had to put in countless hours of research. Only in setting up specific criteria and parameters were we successfully able to take the potential confusion and frustration away from our readers. We also looked deeply into scientific studies so that we could provide proof of CBD oil’s effectiveness against certain health issues.
Finally, we put forth our information to readers in a way that was easily understandable and free from any sensationalism and outrageous claims.
In selecting our top five CBD oil brands, we looked very closely at:
- Hemp Source and Quality: When it comes to selecting a CBD product, brands that create their oils from organic hemp are the best. Even though hemp is grown and cultivated in many places around the world, not all places follow the same laws and standards. Therefore, you should always go with brands that source their organic hemp from within the United States.
- Extraction Process: While there are many different ways in which CBD can be extracted, the Co2 method is the best and cleanest way. Other methods can potentially leave dangerous solvents and other chemicals in the end product. Co2 extraction ensures that extracts are safe and clean.
- Full-Spectrum, Broad Spectrum, or CBD Isolate: Not all brands offer the same types of CBD oils. Some brands solely craft full-spectrum or broad spectrum oils while others only offer CBD isolate products. Full-spectrum products contain less than 0.3% THC as well as other health boosting cannabinoid compounds, terpenes, and phytonutrients. Broad spectrum products are very much the same as full-spectrum products except they do not contain any THC. Finally, CBD isolates are just as the name suggests as they only contain 100 percent pure CBD and nothing else.
- Third-party lab testing: Most all reputable brands use an independent third-party lab to test its products for purity, potency, and quality. The certified results are then made available for customers to find on the brand’s website. By having its products tested by an independent lab, not only is the brand showing customers that it cares about them, but it’s also establishing trust and transparency.
- Oil Potency: Brands specifically create oils in different strengths and potencies. This is done so that users can effectively help their difficult health issues. Typically, stronger oils are used for tougher health issues such as chronic pain, while less potent oils are used for more minor issues.
- Brand Reputation: In searching through different brands, it’s important to examine the brand’s reputation. A brand with a solid reputation will be highly transparent, use organic hemp, make its products from high-quality ingredients, have superior customer service, hire a third-party lab to test its products, among other things.
- Price: Keep in mind that cheaper is not always better. When purchasing CBD from reputable brands, you should expect products to be priced accordingly. The old expression, “you get what you pay for,” definitely applies here. It’s also a good idea to look at the amount of CBD that you’re getting for the price.
As we sifted through all of our criteria, we found that our list grew quite long. Therefore, we spent a great deal of time honing in on what our top five CBD oil brands would look like. We feel that our top five brands far outweigh other brands out on the market today. Moreover, they are a great starting point for those new to the world of CBD to begin.
5 Best CBD Oil Companies [Full Reviews]
#1 FAB CBD Oil: High Quality & Top Voted
The team at FAB CBD has been in the CBD oil game since 2017. As such, the brand has built up a solid reputation as having clean, potent products, amazing customer service, and wonderful transparency with its customers.
FAB CBD has a strong, loyal customer base that outshines that of many of its competitors. Aside from making some of the highest quality CBD products around, the brand also puts the needs and concerns of its customers to the top of its list. FAB CBD continues to be an innovator in the industry by regularly pushing the envelope with its products and formulations.
The brand’s full-spectrum oils come in a host of delicious natural flavors and an exceptional rage of strengths. Everyone who works for FAB CBD refuses to waver on quality, transparency, customer service, and work ethic. To that end, all of FAB CBD’s full-spectrum products are full of terpenes, beneficial cannabinoids, and other phytonutrients.
- Organic hemp grown in Colorado is used by FAB CBD in all of its full-spectrum products. The FAB CBD team controls the whole creation process from seed to sale.
- An independent third-party lab is used to test all products. FAB CBD uses independent lab, ProVerde Laboratories to test all of its products to ensure that they are potent, pure, and consistent in quality. All of those results are then made available for customers to find on FAB CBD’s website.
- FAB CBD’s full-spectrum products all contain less than 0.3% THC in them, per the law. The law states that all CBD products must have less than 0.3% THC in them in order to be legally sold within the United States.
- FAB CBD believes in variety. All of FAB CBD’s full-spectrum oils come in a great selection of natural flavors that include berry, mint, citrus, vanilla, and natural. Many customers prefer flavored oils over ones with no flavoring because sometimes the taste of the natural hemp can be a touch off-putting.
- An amazing number of strength options. FAB CBD has a line of clean and effective full-spectrum oils in potencies of 300mg, 600mg, 1200mg, and 2400mg.
Since exploding onto the CBD market in 2017, FAB CBD has quickly grown to be a favorite brand among those who regularly use CBD. Moreover, FAB CBD is highly respected within the CBD industry. Along with creating clean and potent products, the team at FAB CBD works hard to ensure that customers are also getting CBD products that they can afford.
- Organic, Colorado-grown hemp
- Regular product testing by a third-party laboratory
- A variety of different oil strengths
- An array of natural flavors for all full-spectrum oils
- Affordable products
- #1 CBD oil for sleep and CBD oil for pain
- Free shipping within the United States
- International shipping is offered
- All customers of FAB CBD can take advantage of its 30-day money-back guarantee
- Free shipping can sometimes be slow and expedited shipping can be costly
- Lowest oil potency may not be as effective on tough health issues
FAB CBD has a solid collection of verified customer reviews on its website. These reviews come from customers from all over the United States as well as from around the world. In our research, we have found that overall, customers appear to really love FAB CBD’s products, its relaxed and fun product approach, and commitment to educating customers about CBD’s many health benefits.
Customers also report that not only are FAB CBD’s products effective, they’re also affordable. In short, many customers feel that they are getting exactly what they are paying for. In addition, customers really love the fact that FAB CBD’s oils come in an array of flavors and strengths.
A host of verified customer reviews also give high praise to FAB CBD’s customer service department. In short, the brand’s customers feel that they are being well taken care of. Moreover, customers have also posted glowing reviews about how fast they have been receiving their FAB CBD products.
Overall, customers are extremely pleased with just about every aspect of FAB CBD.
#2 NuLeaf Naturals: Clean and Potent Products
NuLeaf Naturals made its first appearance onto the CBD market in 2014. NuLeaf Naturals sources all of its organic hemp from Colorado. To that end, the founders, experts in plant medicine, seek to provide high quality CBD to everyone who wishes to improve their wellness and health.
To date, NuLeaf Naturals have helped thousands of customers gain access to pure, quality CBD products . As such, all of the brand’s oils are 100 percent pure and use organic hemp oil as a carrier oil.
Everyone who works with NuLeaf Naturals adheres to stringent quality control procedures and uses the best possible manufacturing processes. Like many other top-rated brands, NuLeaf Naturals is involved with the CBD creation process from seed to sale. Every bit of the brand’s organic hemp comes directly from Colorado.
- Organic, Colorado-grown hemp is the base for all of NuLeaf Naturals high-quality products. The brand ensures that all of its products are high-quality and pure by controlling the entire creation process from seed to sale.
- NuLeaf Naturals uses an independent lab to test its products. In doing this, the brand confirms to customers that its products are clean as well as potent. It also alerts customers that the brand cares deeply about transparency.
- NuLeaf Naturals’ oils are free of additives. The brand only uses whole plant extracts in its products. Therefore, NuLeaf Naturals is able to create oils that are packed with CBD, terpenes, phytonutrients, and other beneficial cannabinoids.
- NuLeaf Naturals crafts pure, clean products. NuLeaf Naturals’ oils solely contain organic hemp oil and CBD.
- NuLeaf Naturals offers customers a variety of oil strengths. The brand’s CBD oils come in 300mg, 900mg, 1800mg, 3000mg, and 6000mg. The 6000mg is one of the strongest and most potent oils on today’s market.
Many customers trust NuLeaf Naturals thanks to the brand’s strong commitment to consistency over the years.
- NuLeaf Naturals uses organic hemp grown and harvested in Colorado
- The brand employs a third-party lab to regularly test all of its products
- NuLeaf Naturals broad spectrum products are suitable for those who want to use CBD in order to have access to CBD, terpenes, cannabinoids, and phytonutrients without any THC.
- Many oil strengths are offered
- Free shipping in the United States
- International shipping is available to well over 40 different countries
- No other flavor options available other than natural
- Prices are a touch on the high side
- Customers frequently say that the brand needs to work on its refund policy
Most of the customer reviews on the brand’s website are positive. A common comment among customers is that even though the brand’s prices are somewhat high, the quality of the products is well worth the price that is paid.
It should be noted that higher oil strengths might be needed to help tackle difficult health issues while lower strengths are best for maintaining general health and wellness. Therefore, customers remarked that the brand’s 6000mg CBD oil helped to improve difficult health issues, while the 300mg oils also produced general positive results.
#3 CBDistillery: Large Product Range
CBDistillery introduced itself into the CBD industry in 2016. The brand was founded by Colorado natives who strongly felt that quality, fairly priced, hemp-derived CBD products should be available to everyone.
CBDistillery offers a large product variety including full-spectrum CBD oils, softgels, gummies, topical creams, and CBD powders. The products, though somewhat expensive, are high-quality and effective.
The team at CBDistillery believe in accountability, team work, respect, a can-do attitude, a drive to succeed in the right way, and the ability to enjoy your work. The brand even has its own hashtag of #CBDMOVEMENT in order for customers to find them on social media. The brand uses both its hashtag as well as its website to spread education and awareness about CBD.
- All of CBDistillery’s tinctures are certified by the US Hemp Authority.
- The brand offers oils in an array of strengths and varieties.
- CBDistillery offers free 3-7 day shipping on orders of $75 and up.
CBDistillery is based in Denver, CO. The brand has a vision of being an extremely transparent company that creates high-quality, affordable CBD products. All of the brand’s hemp is sourced from over 900 acres of farmland in Colorado and Kentucky. CBDistillery uses the Co2 extraction process to obtain all of its extracts. Additionally, the brand also uses an independent third-party lab to test all of its products.
- CBDistillery’s oils come in natural flavor in strengths of 250mg, 500mg, 1000mg, 2500mg, and 5000mg
- All of the brand’s tinctures are certified by the US Hemp Authority
- CBDistillery uses an independent third-party lab to test all of its products
- Customers can take advantage of free 3-7 day shipping on all US orders of $75 and up
- Customers have commented that they’ve experienced shipping delays
- There is a $5 shipping fee on orders below $75
- The brand’s oil droppers tend to be somewhat flimsy, which causes product waste over time
- CBDistillery’s contact info is somewhat difficult to find on the brand’s website
Overall, customer reviews are overwhelmingly positive regarding the brand’s products. Even with all of those positive reviews, CBDistillery still displays transparency to its customers by also publishing the negative reviews it received.
Most of the negative reviews, however, come from customer issues with customer service. Many customers have remarked that they have been disappointed with their customer service experience.
Overall, many customers are quite pleased with CBDistillery’s product quality and product selection. The brand tries extremely hard to be transparent with its customers, and thus, employs an independent laboratory to test all of its products. Those results can then be found on the QR codes that are printed on the product labels. By doing this, customers have access to specific batch results from the items that they buy.
#4 Spruce: Potent Products
Spruce is a family-operated brand that was first founded in 2018. To that end, the brand creates high-quality, lab grade CBD products. Spruce offers CBD tinctures crafted from organic hemp that is extracted using ethanol as a natural solvent. All products are then tested by an independent third-party laboratory.
The brand truly believes that CBD is a wonderful alternative to the dangerous pharmaceuticals that are in the world today. As such, Spruce seeks to educate its customers on all of the many health benefits that CBD affords.
As far as CBD oils go, the brand is somewhat limited. Spruce offers lab quality, highly potent CBD oils in strengths of 2400mg and 750mg. And while it’s great to have those two strong potencies available, those seeking lower strengths are out of luck. Also, Spruce does not offer a variety of flavors in their oils, as natural and peppermint are currently the only options. The brand, however, is offering a limited release gingerbread flavored oil in 750mg.
- Potent Products: Spruce’s full-spectrum oils are lab-grade and come in higher strengths of 750mg and 2400mg.
- Affordable Products. Spruce’s products are relatively affordable. All of the brand’s products are full-spectrum and made from organic hemp.
- Locally Sourced Hemp. Spruce sources all of its organic hemp from farms located in Kentucky and North Carolina.
- Strong Customer Service Department. Spruce offers free 2-4 day shipping on all US orders. The brand’s customer service department is available on weekdays from 9am to 5pm EST, and all new customers receive a 30-day free trial. Spruce also offers a 30-day return policy for all unused products.
Every one of Spruce’s full-spectrum products is clean, 100 percent natural, lab grade, is made in the USA, free from dangerous pesticides, and is regularly tested by an independent third party laboratory.
- Spruce is a family-run business that has been around since 2018.
- The brand’s products are relatively affordable and come in two highly potent strengths.
- Spruce sources all of its hemp within the United States and crafts its oils to contain beneficial cannabinoids such as CBD, CBD, and CBC along with other health-boosting phytonutrients.
- Free 2-4 day shipping on all US orders, along with a strong customer service department, and a 30-day return policy for unused products.
- Oils only come in peppermint and natural flavors.
- Spruce does not ship its products outside of the United States.
Customers generally are pleased with Spruce’s offerings as well as the quality of the brand’s full-spectrum products. According to a host of verified reviews, customers also like the fact that the brand’s products have helped them with numerous difficult health issues.
#5 Sabaidee: High-Quality Ingredients
Sabaidee was founded by Alon Shabo in 2018. Shabo was driven to create the company after he saw how well his stepmother felt while taking CBD as she battled breast cancer. To that end, the brand’s mission is to help people live healthier and happier lives through the use of hemp-based CBD products.
Sabaidee does not have a huge product selection, but the brand does create a line of oils, creams, and rubs. All of the brand’s oils are broad spectrum and extracted from industrial hemp that is grown in Colorado.
The brand tests all of its products on site for quality and consistency. The products are then shipped out to an independent third-party lab to further confirm the original test results.
- Sabaidee uses high-quality ingredients. All of the brand’s industrial hemp comes from Colorado.
- The brand is charity-based. Sabaidee partners with a charity that plants a tree for every Sabaidee product that is sold.
- Double tested products. Not only does the brand test its products in-house, it also sends products out to be tested by a third-party laboratory to confirm its in-house results.
- Clean, broad spectrum products. The brand uses a very clean Co2 extraction process to obtain its broad spectrum extracts. Moreover, Sabaidee creates oils in strengths of 250mg, 1000mg, and 2500mg.
Sabaidee is on a mission to never compromise on quality. According to the brand’s website. Its hemp is sustainably grown at a registered Colorado farm. After it’s harvested, the hemp is then rigorously tested on site for quality, purity, and consistency. In order to ensure that customers get the very best products available, Sabaidee takes the extra step of having its products tested once again by a third-party lab.
- High quality ingredients are used
- Sabaidee is extremely transparent with product testing and those results are made available on the brand’s website
- Organic hemp from Colorado hemp is used to create products
- The brand works with a charity that plants a tree for every Sabaidee product sold
- A variety of strengths is offered for the brand’s broad spectrum oils
- Free 3-7 day shipping on all US orders
- Oils only come in mint flavor
- Product selection is very limited
- Potency could be better
- Overall oil taste could be better
Sabaidee’s customers have left many verified reviews attesting to the effectiveness of the brand’s products. Overall, customers are extremely satisfied with the results they’re experiencing from the products they’ve purchased from the brand.
Many customers say that Sabaidee’s products help them achieve relaxation, calm, and a better, more restful sleep. When compared with other brands, customers report that Sabaidee’s prices are fairly mid-range. Despite having a limited product selection, the brand’s most popular products are its broad spectrum CBD oil tinctures and topicals.
Sabaidee works hard to be extremely transparent with its customers. Therefore, all third-party testing results are available on the brand’s website. Sabaidee publishes all lab reports by batch on its dedicated transparency website page. Customers simply need to locate the lot number on the product they purchased and match it with the lot number on the list of lab reports. For those who have not yet purchased a product, the most recent lab report for any specific product can still be downloaded.
Lastly, customers like the fact that the brand has a military and first responders discount program. Active military service members, veterans, and first responders can receive a 30% discount on all products. They simply have to visit Sabaidee’s Assistance Program page to send the brand a message that includes proof of service. Upon approval, a unique discount code is given to be used at checkout.
What You Should Consider When Purchasing CBD Oil
Before purchasing any type of CBD oil, you should do your research and spend some time looking deeply into different brands and products. When researching brands, you should research:
- The Brand’s Reputation — If a brand does not have a strong reputation, then chances are the products will also be substandard. Always look for brands with a strong reputation and that have been in the industry for a lengthy period of time.
- Strength and Potency — The strength of the oil is important, especially if you are just beginning to use CBD as part of your daily health regimen. If you’ve never taken CBD before, then you should start by taking a lower strength. You can always increase the dose and the potency if needed. In taking a lower dose, you will have more control over the amount of CBD that you put into your body. Lower strengths are great for general health and wellness, while higher strengths are best if you are trying to tackle difficult health issues like insomnia and chronic pain.
- Flavored or Unflavored — For some, the taste of a CBD oil is very important. Some people simply cannot stomach the earthy taste that natural CBD has. And that is perfectly fine! Lots of brands, like FAB CBD, use natural flavorings to mask the flavor that natural CBD has. So, if taste is a huge issue for you, then look for brands that have a variety of natural flavors to choose from. As an aside, always go with brands that use natural ways of flavoring their oils. The last thing you want to do is put harmful chemicals into your body. If you are unsure of what flavor oil to choose from, some popular flavors are vanilla, berry, citrus, and mint.
- Brand Transparency — Not all CBD products are created equal. Sadly, there are a lot of sketchy brands out there that have no regard for the health and safety of their customers. Typically, oils from these brands are laden with harmful chemicals, pesticides, and herbicides. The THC content may be over the legal limit as well. By law, all CBD crafted and sold within the United States must contain less than 0.3% THC. Any brand that cares about the products it creates will also use an independent third-party lab to test all of its products. Those results should then be posted on the brand’s website for all customers to easily find.
- Extraction Method — The most reputable brands will use the cleanest methods to obtain all of their CBD extracts. Currently, the Co2 extraction process is the cleanest method of extracting CBD from the hemp plant. When you are shopping for CBD oil, purchase products that have been extracted from hemp that is free of pesticides, herbicides, and other chemicals, and that is grown on local farms within the United States.
- Price — The price of a product matters. Keep in mind that the saying, “You get what you pay for,” truly does apply here. Oils that are extremely cheap and inexpensive are probably not of the highest quality. Also, even though some products may seem cheaper, you might not be getting that much CBD in the bottle. Products that have been crafted to be a higher potency tend to be a touch more expensive due to how it was crafted, the quality of the hemp, and the amount of beneficial cannabinoids, terpenes, vitamins, and minerals in the bottle.
- Customer Service — Brands that have a great deal of respect for their customers always are great to go with. A reputable brand will have a strong customer service record. Nothing is more frustrating than having an issue with a product and needing help, only to discover that the customer service department of the brand you went with is rude and unhelpful. Go with brands like FAB CBD who have a stellar reputation for having an amazing customer service department. Likewise, shipping is also a part of the customer service experience. If you have been suffering with chronic pain and are looking forward to beginning your CBD regimen, then nothing is worse than slow shipping. Any reputable CBD brand will know the importance of timely and/or expedited shipping and work hard to get you your order in a timely manner.
Closing Thoughts: Which CBD Company is the Best?
Shopping online for a reputable CBD product shouldn’t be difficult, frustrating, or painful. If you take the time and effort into researching the brands that have caught your attention, then the process should be fairly smooth as well as an enjoyable experience. In taking the time to do your research, you will ensure that you’re going with a trusted, reputable brand that crafts high-quality, potent, clean, and effective products.
Lastly, you should never be tempted to buy from the first brand that you come across. After all, flashy pages that feature extremely cheap products touting claims that seem too good to be true will only lead to more frustration and disappointment in the long-run. Reputable brands put all the facts about their products and about CBD out on their websites for everyone to see.
Moreover, all reputable brands will have their products tested by an independent third-party laboratory and those results will be made easy for customers to find on their websites. So, whether you’re shopping CBD for the first time or are a regular CBD user who is looking for a different brand, take the time and do the research so that you can shop smarter and not harder.
The reviews and statements published here are those of the sponsor and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, position or views of Observer.
How do you know which CBD brands to buy and who to buy them from? How do you know which companies you can trust to be forthright about their ingredients and extraction processes?
Top 10 CBD Oils – Our Favorites for 2021
Which CBD Oil Works Best?
The CBD oil that works best for you should meet your needs for symptom relief, price point, and minimal side effects. It may even depend on your previous experience with marijuana and cannabis products. Since this is different for everyone, you may need to do your own research and try a couple different oils before you find the one you like best.
However, if you’re like us, you probably don’t want to break the bank testing out a variety of products. That’s why we’ve already done it for you. Below, we’ve picked the top 10 CBD oils currently on the market and evaluated them for a range of different uses. Whether you’re looking for an unflavored oil, broad-spectrum, or high potency, we’ve got you covered.
Keep in mind that CBD could be a great option toward holistic health and wellness, though there’s still much research to be done. Use our guide to help get started with CBD.
Our Favorite CBD Oil
Spruce 2,400mg Lab Grade CBD Oil
Top 10 CBD Oils
- Best Potency – Spruce
- Best Natural Ingredients – NuLeaf Naturals
- Best By Reviews – MedTerra
- Best For Beginners – Naternal
- Best Natural Flavor – Cornbread Hemp
- Best Without THC – Sunday Scaries
- Best Full Spectrum – Populum
- Best Organic Oil – Vital Plan Select
- Best Low-Cost – Superfine
- Best To Buy In Bulk – Mega Good Vibes
What is CBD Oil?
CBD oil or Cannabidiol is a natural molecule of cannabis, which comes from the hemp plant. It’s become popular in the media over the last couple of years, but it was discovered before THC in 1940. The chemist, Roger Adams, of Harvard University was the first person to extract CBD successfully, and scientists started to see the benefits of CBD in the 1960s.
Scientists Dr. Walter S. Loewe and Dr. Raphael Mechoulam took further steps to conduct a test to prove CBD doesn’t alter your mental state. They also identified the three-dimensional structure of the molecule.
CBD oil can be made from both hemp and marijuana, but there are some key difference between the two. Unlike marijuana, hemp plants are legal in the U.S. since the introduction of the 2018 Farm Bill which excluded it from the Controlled Substances Act, and therefore all hemp-derived products are legal. Another main difference between CBD oil derived from hemp versus CBD oil derived from marijuana is the cannabinoid content. Unlike marijuana, which contains between 5% and 30% THC, hemp plants legally cannot contain more than 0.3% of THC. As a result, hemp-derived CBD oil does not have THC’s intoxicating effect, allowing you to experience the benefits of CBD without the “high” associated with marijuana.
How is CBD Oil Produced?
What exactly does it mean when you see “hemp extract” on the label of CBD oil? CBD production starts with the process of extraction from the cannabis plant. Different extraction methods can be used for converting hemp into CBD products, but the quality of the extraction varies.
The CO2 process is the most common method for CBD oil and provides high-quality extraction. It is performed by heating CO2 and diffusing it throughout the hemp plant to pull the oil. Extraction then leads to the many methods of bottling and consumption, such as tinctures, vape juice, CBD oil-infused coffee and beer, gummies, massage oils, and pet treats.
You can ingest the oil by mixing it with other drinks and liquids or simply put a few drops on your tongue. Gummies are also extremely popular, and many people feed their pets CBD infused treats to help with anxiety and illnesses. Topical oils and lotions containing CBD may also alleviate sore muscles and joint aches. Users enjoy CBD oil as it may relieve pain, anxiety, inflammation, nausea, and seizures.
Why Should Seniors Use CBD?
CBD is increasingly popular for those who want to find natural relief for health conditions or who are looking to promote their overall wellness. In particular, seniors may find relief from the use of CBD oil as the potential benefits it offers align with conditions commonly experienced as we age. If you’re looking for a natural, plant-based product instead of pharmaceuticals, CBD may temporarily ease symptoms caused by digestive problems, muscle pains, and other conventional medical issues. Users report that CBD oil causes minimal side effects, is non-toxic, non-addictive, and there are currently no reported deaths or overdoses linked to CBD. CBD oil may be an excellent alternative to some medications as it is cost-effective, easy to use, and eco-friendly.
How to Start Using CBD
While the FDA is working to answer questions about the science, safety, and quality of CBD products, there are no regulatory guidelines in place just yet. However, the medical community is more commonly suggesting CBD as a potential option for the relief of temporary symptoms. While CBD can deliver a variety of health benefits, we advise consulting your doctor before taking CBD. Your current health conditions and any prescription medications should be considerations, as adverse CBD drug interactions can be a concern. It is known to increase the effects of some drugs, including blood thinner or over-the-counter medication, which has the risk of blood-thinning like ibuprofen. Your doctor can help identify if it is safe for you to take CBD or suggest a precise dose that won’t be harmful.
Determining what dose of CBD oil to take includes looking at many factors, including your body’s chemistry and BMI. You should always consult your medical provider to assess accurately how much of the product you should take. It is also smart to start at a lower dose and slowly increase your daily use. Before beginning to use CBD, you should consider the quality of a CBD product based on organic growing techniques, extraction method, mg per dose, full-spectrum offerings, flavors, and reviews reporting effectiveness.
Top 10 CBD Oils for Seniors
There are many CBD oils out there these days, so we’ve narrowed it down to 10 great options to kickstart your entry into the CBD world. We compared CBD oils based on how they utilized, price, dosage, size, and top features. We also considered the diet’s it may be best suited for and unique qualities. By collecting customer reviews and research, we’ve got you covered on the best CBD products available.
25 mg / 80 mg per dropper
- Family owned business
- Unique moonshine extraction method
- Vegan and gluten-free
- Offer an “extra strength” potency
Spruce offers lab-grade CBD in the form of oils and cream. They offer a competitive price with 2,400 mg of oil at $269, and 750mg oil tinctures for both humans and dogs at $89. They also offer a subscribe and save option for all products that will give you a 15% discount and free shipping. Spruce offers one of the best options in dosage and price comparison, and customers agree that it’s hard to beat their potency. Learn more about Spruce’s CBD oils in our full review.
Best Natural Ingredients
Buy NuLeaf Naturals
5 mL, 15 mL, 30 mL, 50 mL,
and 100 mL
- Derived by CO2 extraction
- Made without additives or preservatives
- Fast and free shipping
- Third-party lab tested
NuLeaf Naturals offers CBD oil in its most pure and simple form. The company features a variety of bottle sizes making it easy to find your optimal dosage, whether you use CBD every day or just when you need it the most. Each bottle contains CBD oil that is free of additives, preservatives, herbicides, pesticides, and fertilizers. When using NuLeaf Naturals CBD oil, drop your preferred dose under your tongue and hold it before swallowing. Many customer reviews celebrate the product’s effectiveness for minor pain, such as shoulder and backaches.
Best By Reviews
50 mg, 1000 mg or 3000 mg per bottle
- US Hemp Authority Certified
- Ship to all 50 states and internationally
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Non-GMO and organic
- 10% discount when you subscribe
MedTerra offers CBD tinctures that combine 99% CBD and MCT oil in one-ounce bottles. They offer 500 mg, 1000 mg, and 3000 mg per dropper, and the tinctures have measurement markers to allow for accuracy and flexibility in servings. The average customer reviews for MedTerra are the best based on price, effectiveness, and speediness in delivery.
Best for Beginners
20 mg – 80 mg per serving
- Combines CBD with MCT oil
- Published lab results online
- Proprietary True Dosing System to help guide beginners
- Testimonials about reduced anxiety, depression, and insomnia
- Contains less than 0.3% THC
Naternal is a Hemp company with a desire to help newcomers access the benefits of CBD. The company has developed a proprietary True Dosing System and online guide that can help you customize your dose regardless of which Naternal product you choose. The company uses 20 mg as its foundation for dosing, which is usually the standard minimum dose recommended for most adults. Their Full Spectrum Help Extract Oil is available in 20 mg, 40 mg, and 80 mg servings.
Best Natural Flavor
Buy Cornbread Hemp
25 mg per serving
- Distilled to 75% purity
- Quick absorption
- Natural flavor
- Kentucky-grown hemp
- 30-day satisfaction guarantee
Cornbread Hemp gets its name from Kentucky hemp farmers who grew the plant as far back as 1775, even before it was legal. Now that hemp and CBD are legal nationwide, Cornbread Hemp is dedicated to using the highest-quality Kentucky hemp to provide a variety of wellness products to its customers. The Original CBD Oil offers CO2 extracted CBD that’s distilled to 75% purity. For best results, take Cornbread Hemp CBD Oil daily directly in your mouth or mixed in with a beverage. Customer reviews especially liked its effects on sleep, anxiety, and chronic pain.
Best Without THC
Buy Sunday Scaries
10 mg per serving
- Contains coconut oil and organic stevia
- Contains vitamins D3 and B12
- Broad spectrum, meaning no THC
- Subscription savings
- Hemp sourced from Colorado
True to its name, Sunday Scaries CBD Oil helps eliminate some of life’s common everyday anxieties. The company says their CBD can help with sleep, calming your mind at night, relieving flight anxiety, and enhancing your meditation. Though these claims have not been evaluated by the FDA, customer reviews do say they’re happy with the oil and its effects after everyday use. The oil is broad spectrum, meaning it contains absolutely no THC. While most oils still contain trace amounts, this option could be best if you’d like to avoid THC altogether. This oil is also designed to be better tasting and packed with essential vitamins that may help regulate your nervous system and even boost your immune system. To use, start with 1/3 of a dropper. You should feel effects within 20 to 30 minutes after ingestion.
Best Full Spectrum
8 mg – 33 mg per serving
- Ethically sourced hemp from Colorado
- Award-winning orange flavor
- Non-GMO and gluten-free
- 30-Day risk-free trial
- Step-by-step instructions available online
Populum offers a Full Spectrum CBD Oil with more than 500 excellent customer reviews. Populum sets itself apart with a dedication to the customer experience, from purchasing the bottle to using it for the first time and coming back for more. Customers say they enjoy the unique, mild orange flavor, and the oil has helped them get a full night’s sleep and feel overall better throughout day to day activities. If you’re just getting started, Populum recommends starting with the 8mg dose each day, and even offers a video tutorial of how you can successfully take your CBD tincture.
With a full-spectrum CBD oil, this means that the product you get undergoes minimal processing. Using an extract method like CO2 extraction, CBD and more cannabinoids are drawn out of the hemp plant. These products do contain very nominal amounts of THC. Some companies and studies assert that the additional cannabinoids in full-spectrum products help to boost CBD’s effects.
Best Organic Oil
Vital Plan Select
Buy Vital Plan Select
20 mg – 40 mg per serving
- Certified organic green cherry hemp
- Full-spectrum with terpenes and organic compounds
- Contains MCT oil and peppermint extract
- Peanut, egg, and dairy free
- Contains less than .3% THC
Vital Plan Select offers a USDA-certified organic CBD oil that’s sourced from Colorado-grown hemp. Vital Plan Select is dedicated to providing customers with the safest CBD experience possible, ensuring their product is safe for vegetarians, those with Celiac Disease, and anyone with common peanut, egg, or dairy allergies. The Vital Plan Select oil is full spectrum, meaning it contains trace amounts of THC along with additional cannabinoids and hemp compounds, including terpenes. This product has up to 6 times more terpenes than most other CBD oils on the market, which could help enhance the effects of CBD.
250 mg – 750 mg per bottle
- Free or preservatives and pesticides
- Vegan, organic, and gluten-free
- Processed in FDA-registered facility
- Third-party lab results immediately available
- 30-day satisfaction guarantee
Superfine offers one of the most budget-friendly options for CBD lovers and beginners alike. Their Organic CBD Oil has a starting price of $38. Furthermore, you can cut your cost to $30.40 by opting for a monthly subscription. Superfine CBD Oil is easy to use with a marked dropper that ensures you’re taking the correct dose. Simply drop the oil under your tongue and hold it for one minute before swallowing. You can take the CBD oil twice per day and split your dose in the morning and night for best results.
Best to Buy in Bulk
Mega Good Vibes
Buy Mega Good Vibes
$174.99-$199.95 per bottle
2500 mg per bottle
- Organically grown hemp
- Contains MCT oil and peppermint oil
- 30-day satisfaction guarantee
- Colorado-grown hemp
- Triple-tested hemp
Mega Good Vibes offers a pure hemp extract CBD oil that includes MCT coconut oil and peppermint oil for flavor. The company offers a unique offering of 2-packs, 3-packs, and 6-packs, so you can buy a single bottle or buy in bulk. When you first purchase a bottle, you get a 30-day satisfaction guarantee so you can determine if it’s the right product before purchasing again. Overall, the bulk options will offer cost savings if you know you enjoy the CBD oil for everyday use. To use Mega Good Vibes, you can take 1-3 servings per day depending on your unique dose and needs. The company does recommend starting with one full dropper before increasing your dose from there. Customers say they enjoy the oil to help relieve stress throughout the day and to sleep better at night.
What are the Potential Benefits of CBD?
The properties of CBD have the potential to provide health benefits for a wide range of conditions, as increasingly evident by scientific research. For many, CBD may improve quality of sleep and temporarily relieve insomnia. Studies have also shown it can help alleviate pain and inflammation frequently caused by arthritis and joint pain. More recent research suggests that CBD may improve heart health. A 2017 study determined CBD can reduce blood pressure and may also have therapeutic potential for treating cardiovascular disorders by reducing cardiac inflammation. There is also promising research that CBD may help preserve bone density and promote bone fracture healing, which both can be issues of concern for many seniors.
Potential Benefits of CBD:
- May reduce inflammation
- May relieve pain
- May alleviate migraines
- May relieve sciatic nerve pain
- May improve sleep
- May reduce anxiety and depression
- May help with appetite and weight loss
- May improve memory
- May alleviate symptoms related to cancer
- May reduce acne
- May help treat epilepsy
- May reduce blood pressure
- May improve bone mass
Is CBD safe for seniors?
CBD may have many benefits for seniors, but it’s essential to consult with your doctor before giving CBD a try. Your current prescriptions and medications may react with CBD products, so your doctor can recommend replacing CBD with some medications or advise on the correct dosage for your specific needs.
Does CBD oil have side effects?
Side effects of CBD are rare but could include dry mouth, nausea, diarrhea, and changes in appetite. If you’re taking other medications, CBD can affect the way the liver breaks down those medications causing an adverse reaction. CBD has also been linked to temporarily lowering blood pressure.
Can I buy CBD oil online?
CBD oil has increasingly become more available online, with numerous retailers across the world shipping CBD right to your doorstep. It helps to do your research and compare products based on potency, flavors, price, size, extraction, broad vs. full-spectrum, how you consume the CBD, dietary restrictions, and other factors. There are many CBD options for you to try out as you begin your journey.
Tips for Purchasing CBD Oils
CBD Oil Choices
Because there are so many CBD products available, it is first helpful to know there are three major categories to choose from, each with different characteristics: CBD Isolate, Full Spectrum CBD, and Broad Spectrum CBD. Although products may differ, they all deliver CBD inside a carrier oil, and these categories will indicate which type of cannabinoid your product contains.
As with CBD Isolate, there is no significant level of THC in Full Spectrum CBD though it’s not completely removed. Unlike CBD Isolate, the additional compounds found within the cannabis plant are preserved, offering the potential for a broader range of therapeutic benefits and a higher level of relief comparatively.
Full Spectrum CBD
As with CBD Isolate, there is no significant level of THC in Full Spectrum CBD though it’s not completely removed. Unlike CBD Isolate, the additional compounds found within the cannabis plant are preserved, offering the potential for a broader range of therapeutic benefits and a higher level of relief comparatively.
Broad Spectrum CBD
Broad Spectrum CBD is similar to Full Spectrum in that it contains a variety of cannabinoids for added Benefit, but it has zero THC. Though there is less research available for Broad Spectrum CBD, it may be the right choice if you are sensitive to THC or have a condition not alleviated by Isolate CBD that may benefit from the enhanced effect of multiple cannabinoids.
CBD Oil vs. Hemp Seed Oil vs. Full Spectrum Hemp Oil
CBD oil, hemp seed oil, and full-spectrum hemp oil all have potential health benefits that interest consumers. It is essential to know, however, that they are very different products. Here we will help you understand the differences and how to choose which one may be the safest and most appropriate for your needs.
CBD oil utilizes the highly concentrated CBD found in flowers, stalks, and leaves of the hemp plant. Hemp plants produce a variety of cannabinoids with numerous potential medicinal benefits from relieving pain and inflammation to treating epilepsy. It can be ingested or used topically.
Hemp seed oil is derived from the seeds of the Cannabis sativa plant. These seeds are nutrient-rich but do not contain CBD. Hemp seed oil offers many healthful benefits and can be used in a variety of ways. It is packed with essential fatty acids and amino acids and often taken a supplement to support cardiovascular health, promote brain function, and for its possible antioxidant and anti-aging effects. It is commonly found as a capsule or tincture or used topically for skincare.
Full-spectrum hemp oil refers to the oil produced from the entire Cannabis sativa plant, not just the seeds. Full-spectrum hemp oil that also contains plant matter has a higher concentration of other additional compounds that may offer more benefits when used for issues such as inflammation and muscle tension. It can be found in different forms, including capsules, balms, tinctures, and more.
CBD in the News
CBD is undoubtedly gaining traction. The shifting and growing market see an increase in online purchasing and an increase in the types of CBD products used. The CBD oil market is expected to grow by almost 32% by 2027. With CBD products becoming more accessible and affordable, companies are also becoming aware of the pressure of getting the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s approval.
Seniors are increasingly looking towards CBD for treating aches and pains, but it can be challenging to find safe products while the market isn’t regulated. While the FDA is still developing regulations that could allow CBD to be marketed as a food item or dietary supplement, it published draft guidelines on cannabis research for drug manufacturing in July 2020, a sign that some progress is happening.
CBD oil has seen a considerable increase in popularity over the last several years, becoming a mainstream product in many countries. The CBD industry seems here to stay, and ongoing studies continue to provide evidence supporting some of the many potential health benefits of CBD.
It is important to remember, however, that CBD still needs more thorough research and is still largely unregulated. It is best to let your doctor advise on how CBD can work for you. Seniors should certainly take note of the risks, but CBD could be a viable option if you’re looking for natural relief for pains, anxiety, and restlessness. Luckily, there are plenty of resources to be found if you’re interested in exploring what CBD has to offer.
We've tested the best cbd oil for pain for seniors. See which is the best cbd oil for symptom relief, price point, and minimal side effects.