How to Make CBD Oil at Home
CBD oil is gaining popularity as an alternative remedial therapy for a variety of ailments and even acts as a supplement with many health benefits. There are many high quality CBD oil brands out there that are worth considering to try before making one yourself.
Sabaidee CBD Oil
- Top quality all seasons
- Public laboratory tests
- Use code AmericanMarijuana for 15% OFF your purchase
Now, in this article, we’ll talk about the two easiest ways of making CBD oil at home.
But before we delve into that, let’s understand how CBD works.
How CBD Oil Works?
Cannabidiol, most commonly known as CBD, is one of over 110 active cannabinoids found in marijuana plants. CBD has a natural ability to bind with receptor sites in our body (like the brain and the immune system) and it works to restore your body to its optimum level of functionality. By influencing the activity controlled by the body’s receptor sites, CBD oil is known for its utility when it comes to manage pain, anxiety and depression, insomnia, psychosis, muscle spasms, neurodegenerative disorders and many other ailments or disease such as diabetes.
The body’s endocannabinoid (ECS) system is responsible for the physical and psychological effects of cannabis on the human body, as well as for the regulation of bodily functions including appetitie, mood, metabolism, sleep, immune function, temperature, digestion, cardiovascular function, neural development, memory and learning, and reproduction. Besides these, the ECS system is also responsive to fighting illness in the body.
This ability to regulate and influence the endocannabinoid system makes CBD effective as a remedy for many health issues. As more scientific studies attest to the healing effects of CBD oil, the scope of this marijuana extract as a healing alternative are growing.
Why use CBD Oil?
In addition to the possible health benefits listed above, CBD oil supplements also provide the body with some essential oils that are often missing from our daily nutrition intake. This can include vitamins and minerals, omega fatty acids, flavonoids and even important proteins and terpenes.
Since CBD oil does not contain THC, it is not psychoactive and won’t leave you with a high. Before understanding the process of making CBD oil, you can get here to understand the key benefits of using CBD oil.
Different Ways to Make CBD Oil
Now that we have understood how CBD oil works on the ECS as well as the many benefits that it offers, let’s talk about making your own CBD oil.
The’ Oil Method’ of extracting CBD oil is considered as one of the safest ways of doing so. With this method, you will need to use a carrier oil, such as coconut or olive oil. This method is gaining popularity as it is completely safe, free of unwanted residues and the user gets the benefits of the extracted CBD as well as that of the carrier oil.
A step-by-step guide to making CBD oil through the oil method:
Before getting started, understand that the quality of cannabis you use will dictate the quality of the final product. This is why it is best to pick a high-quality strain that was sourced from a reputed retailer.
- To get started, choose buds, leaves, and stems of a high-quality cannabis plant. However, before you get started, ensure that the raw cannabis has gone through the process of decarboxylation. To do this, bake the buds and leaves at a temperature of approximately 220°F for 90 to 100 minutes. In layman’s terms, this process refers to heating the plant at a certain temperature for a specific period of time to activate the plant’s chemicals.
- In a mason jar, mix the ground-up weed with the carrier oil of your choice and then saturate the weed with the oil. You can adjust the quantity of oil or add more depending on how potent you want the end product to be.
- Once the saturation has occurred, it is time to bring the oil-weed mixture to a boil. Screw the lid of the mason jar securely to ensure that no steam or water enters the oil mixture.
- On the bottom of the pan, place a towel. Place the mason jar on the top and fill the pan with water until it reaches a temperature of at least 200 degrees. (Make sure to use a thermometer)
- Regularly check the pot to ensure that the water has not evaporated. Turn off the stove after letting the oil mixture simmer for three hours and then let it sit for another three hours.
- After this is done, it is recommended to heat the oil mixture again for three hours, to turn off the heat, and leave it again for the night.
- The next morning, your CBD oil will be ready to use. Proceed ahead by straining the mixture through cheesecloth and storing in a cool, dark and dry place.
The ‘Alcohol Method’ is also known as the ethanol method. One of the pros of this CBD oil-extraction process is that it does not require special skills or advanced equipment, making it a great choice for beginners.
Alcohol, the extracting agent in this process, is preferred as it does not leave an unpleasant taste or odour as opposed to other agents.
A step-by-step guide to making CBD oil through the alcohol method:
- Start by placing the marijuana in a ceramic or glass bowl. Cover it with alcohol and stir for about 6 minutes. Once this is done, use a wooden spoon to extract the resin produced as a result of the process.
- Place a straining bag/sieve in the bowl to filter out the solvent. Squeeze out as much extract as possible. If you feel that more oil extraction is possible from the weed, repeat this squeezing process.
- In a double boiler, pour the extracted oil and heat it until bubbles start to form. The aim is to make the alcohol evaporate without raising the temperature. Wait until the oil simmers for about thirty minutes on a very low flame. Once the alcohol evaporates completely, mix it and turn off the flame.
- Once cooled, transfer the concentrated extract in a storage bottle with a tight lid in a cool, dark and dry place.
The Best Marijuana Strains for CBD Oil Extraction
As mentioned before, the quality of cannabis you use will dictate the quality of the final product. This is why, for those looking at making their own CBD oil, it is necessary to choose the appropriate marijuana strain for their individual needs.
Finally, there’re chances that your CBD oil won’t live up to your expectation. In that case, don’t hesitate to get yourself the best brand in the market.
Use code AmericanMarijuana for 15% OFF Sabaidee CBD Oil
Written by: Dwight K. Blake
Dwight was a Mental Health counselor at Long Island Psychotherapy & Counseling in Westbury, New York for more than 15 years. He believes that CBD is the prime solution to this mental illness and more– with proper research, medical acknowledgment, and application.
Through his work at AmericanMarijuana, together with the rest of the team, he wishes to provide everyone with genuine results and high-quality product reviews for everyone to enjoy for free.
1 thought on “How to Make CBD Oil at Home”
I love you man you guys are the greatest. This Cbd/hash oil article is the greatest article I’ve ever seen. Thanks guys. The alcohol method I’ve used for decades it really works.
In this article, we’ll talk about the two easiest ways of making CBD oil at home. What is the safest method to make CBD at home for beginners?
How to make CBD oil at home
Last updated November 11-2020 Published January 21-2020
TABLE OF CONTENT
- 1. The benefits of CBD oil
- 2. What options are there for making CBD at home?
- 3. A note on strain selection
- 4. Making CBD oil with alcohol
- 5. Making CBD oil with carrier oils
- 6. Advantages of professional CBD oil production
- 7. Making CBD oil at home: the bottom line
Making DIY CBD oil at home is pretty easy if you have the right ingredients. It will by no means be as powerful or as potent as professionally extracted and produced CBD oil (which is actually quite an in-depth and complicated process), but with a few easy steps, you can still harness some of the power hemp has to offer.
THE BENEFITS OF MAKING CBD OIL AT HOME
CBD is enjoyed in many forms, but oil is one of the most common ways to take it. People usually buy their CBD oil at health shops or dispensaries, and, depending on where you live, you may be spoilt for choice. However, for those with far fewer options, or those looking to avoid the expense of certain store-bought products, making CBD oil at home is a viable solution. Yes, you read correctly. With some hemp flowers, the right equipment, and a few simple ingredients, you’ll have a great homemade CBD oil in no time.
WHAT OPTIONS ARE THERE FOR MAKING CBD OIL AT HOME?
If you’re ready to get to it, you’ll first have to decide which method you want to go with. There are two options for amateurs, and choosing one over the other won’t make an extreme difference. However, there is a difference, and both options have their pros and cons.
The first requires using food-safe alcohol to extract CBD from hemp plant material. The second, which has become popular due to the gentle process involved, utilises natural plant oils to extract CBD. Hemp seed, olive, and coconut oils are popular choices here and are fairly effective solvents.
You might be wondering about a third extraction method using CO₂. It’s true, this has become the industry standard for quality CBD oils due to its “clean” nature. CO₂ extraction provides the most potent, controlled and verifiable extraction currently possible, but it requires extremely expensive equipment, a lot of space, and extensive knowledge to perform properly. For that reason, we’ll stick to discussing the first two.
A NOTE ON STRAIN SELECTION
Before we get into that, though, you’ll want to make sure you pick the right strain. As many strains nowadays are bred to have high THC and low CBD levels, you’ll need to pay attention to what you select. If you’d like our suggestion, though, we have a couple in mind. Strains such as Nebula II CBD, for instance, are CBD-dominant, while others, like CBD Critical Mass, have a 1:1 ratio of CBD:THC. Both are suitable options; it just depends on your preference. There are even some strains now with CBD heavy ratios, containing next to no THC at all.
MAKING CBD OIL WITH ALCOHOL
• Around 30g ground buds or 60–100g ground dried shake or trim
• High-proof, food-safe grain alcohol
• Mixing bowl
• Baking tray
• Parchment paper
• Fine strainer such as a piece of cheesecloth or a sieve
• Catchment container
• Double boiler (a set of two fitted saucepans/pots stacked together with space between them)
• Wooden spoon
• Plastic syringe
To begin, you need to ensure your plant matter is decarboxylated. To do so, grind it up until it has a fine even consistency, and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Place it in a preheated oven at 110ºC (225ºF) and allow to cook for one hour.
Place your decarbed buds or trim into the mixing bowl and pour in enough alcohol to completely submerge the plant matter. Use the wooden spoon to stir the material for 5–10 minutes. During this time, the alcohol will pull out the desired constituents such as CBD and terpenes. Stirring will help to accelerate the process and dislodge the trichomes that produce these substances.
Next, you’ll need to separate the CBD-rich alcohol extract from the plant matter. Strain the solution through a piece of cheesecloth or a fine sieve into a bowl below. You’ll notice that the alcohol has a dark green colour to it. Repeat the process above with fresh alcohol a few more times to get the most out of your buds or trim. Eventually, the extract will start appearing more clear in colour, a sign that the material is now spent.
Now it’s time to set up the double boiler. If you don’t have a setup like this already, an easy makeshift option is to fill the bottom of a saucepan with water, then place a stainless steel bowl into the saucepan that fits snugly, but doesn’t touch the bottom of the pan.
Pour the alcohol extract into the stainless steel bowl/top of the double boiler and apply gentle heat. High-proof alcohol is highly volatile and will evaporate at a low temperature. Keep the heat down and turn the heat on and off where necessary. It’s important to carry out this process away from any naked flames and ideally under an extractor fan or outdoors. The vapour produced when the alcohol evaporates is highly flammable and poses a real fire hazard.
Keep stirring the extract for 15–20 minutes while the alcohol evaporates. The mixture should turn extremely viscous.
After all the alcohol is removed, the extract should display a thick, tar-like consistency. Whilst it’s still warm, draw it up into a large syringe or multiple smaller ones. This makes it easy to store and administer.
CBD oil offers users a wide range of possibilities, with researchers and public figures alike swearing by it. The best part? You can make it yourself at home!